Pages

Feb 20, 2011

The Pen is Always Mightier than the Keyboard...Pencils count too

It's probably a little odd considering the times we live in, but I've decided upon getting myself a penpal. It was fairly easy too, since I have a friend in Germany who doesn't always have access to the Internet, but has no issue collecting her mail. So I've been writing a letter for her. This is the second one actually because the first kinda went MIA...it's a long story.

Anyway, the whole experience has had me weighing the benefits (if there are any) to even having a penpal in this day and age. I mean, in the time that it takes me to write out a letter expressing everything I want, mailing, and her reading it I could have just told her through an e-mail. Better yet, I could have called her up (thank you Vonage). Better still, there's always our webcams. And I'd still have days left over.

So really, what is the point?

I've thought about it for a lengthy time now and, while I realize it isn't necessarily the easiest way of communicating with friends abroad, there's still plenty of value in it. For one, it takes a whole lot more effort than flicking on your computer screen. And there's something more personal about reading someone's words from a piece of paper, written in their unique scrawl, that you just don't get from looking at a screen. Think about it: You're sitting there by your desk, staring at a sterile, white screen, a block of uniform text awaiting your perusal. There's only so much words themselves can convey.

On the other hand, imagine this: After opening your mailbox, your eyes excitedly catch hold of a letter with your name scribbled on the front in slightly misshaped lettering. Your fingers glide underneath the lip of the envelope, gently tearing it open. You pull out the carefully folded sheets of paper and take in the sight of your friend's writing in dark blue ink. Some words have been completely capitalized, phrases underlined. There are little smilies that have been sprinkled along the page. Tiny doodles decorate random corners upon each sheet.

You get a real sense of a person's feelings not just from what they write, but how they write it. Was it hastily written down? Why did they cross that phrase out? Look how there's clear emphasis on the word "chocolate."

It's things like that I'm looking forward to and, I'm sure, my friend shares my sentiment.

That whole other dimension of language is missing in our modernized forms of communication. Frankly, I think it's taking its toll on some of us. I'm sure there are a number of people on your facebook you either don't talk to at all or just rarely. I'm sure there are a number of people you already expect to fall completely out of touch with as time goes on. Now, maybe you think that is a part of life. But I'd like to share a particular experience with you.

My mom also happens to have a friend in Germany. For well over two decades they have kept in touch, largely through letter-writing. In all their years that they have known each other though, they have probably met in person about four or five times. There are people she sees and associates with regularly here and yet few of those relationships measure up to the one with her  friend in Germany. I remember the last time they said good bye to each other, they were literally in tears.

I've come to believe the personal aspect of letter writing builds up over time. I've come to believe it's in fact, a way of long-distance communication that proceeds to transcend other forms of written communication especially. 

For example, it's one thing to read through facebook or some instant messenger "I love you" from a person, it's another thing to read it like this...



Hopefully, at this point, I don't have to tell you which one I'd prefer.

With all that said, I damn well can't wait to read her reply.

Take care,
EE

6 comments:

  1. Lol, I know the feeling. My family is in Europe as well, and whenever I get an AIRMAIL envelope my heart rate speeds up... because it's so rare to have ANY connection.

    BTW, glad you are on here and I hope you're finding it too your liking:^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I like it very much. I feel free :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for your letter to arrive .. :) :-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the sentiment. I just can't do it. My handwriting has withered and died, so much so that it's almost illegible.

    But it would be really cool to actually get something in the mail that wasn't a bill or a magazine or what have you.

    Good on you for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah...the handwriting thing is tough. I know my is usually about as legible as a three year old writing his name in finger paints. It actually took me forever to write a three page letter because I was trying to be so careful lol

    ReplyDelete