Pages

Feb 21, 2011

As I write this now, I am uploading my first video to YouTube ever. I know, I know. Where the hell have I been? I'll be frank with you. Despite my sexy smile and debonair persona, I am an EXTREMELY shy guy. So, I've never bothered. But if I ever want to stand in the shadow of a guy like Sting (English teacher turned music legend), I've got to start somewhere. Oh, did I say stand in the shadow? I meant worthy enough to clean up the guy's spit.

So anyway, I've finally uploaded one of the first songs I ever wrote entitled Opportunity. I've got to say, as I watch the video slowly being uploaded, it's like a piece of my soul is being poured out. I'm so nervous not only are my fingers shaking as I type this, but so is the whole desk. Of course...that could be my dog scratching himself again. Oh wait. It's me.

I figured I'd take the time to explain a little bit about my musical past in this post and how I've gotten to the point of wanting to share my music. You see, music is in my blood. My great grand mother was an exceptionally talented pianist during her time. Unfortunately, she turned down the opportunity of stardom to marry. Fortunately, this resulted in me eventually being born. Yeah, I'm actually pretty happy with that outcome.

Of course, you can imagine the pressure on the rest of the family. Both my grandmother and mother were at some point taught piano, though they eventually gave it up. As did my mother's sisters and brother I believe. That left this generation. However, out of the entire generation of some 20 kids, the only ones to have ever shown a real interest in music was my sister and myself. My first instrument was actually the violin, but I quickly found myself infatuated with the piano. To do this day, I still play piano extensively. About a few years back, I decided to branch out a bit. That's when I took up the guitar. I started out modestly enough, my parents trading in my violin (a now glorified dust collector) for an epiphone les paul starter kit.


Yeah...it didn't inspire much progress. It actually wasn't until I received my second guitar, an acoustic/electric Ibanez, that I began to take it a little more seriously. Still though, it wasn't until I received my third guitar, a beautiful Ovation acoustic/electric that I really got into it. It was on the Ovation that I really began experimenting and writing. I wrote songs of varying difficulty with generally direct messages reflecting on the three L's: Life, love, and l...um...luck I suppose. Actually...two L's and an O: Life, love, and opportunity. That feels better. Bear with me, I'm trying.

In any case, Opportunity was my first song. The message is simple and clear, but one people honestly don't follow today. The point is we have to take advantage of life's opportunities. Get over your fear and just dive right in! It doesn't matter if it's a love interest, a life long dream, whatever! I guess that's what I'm doing here as well. I'm taking advantage of what's available to me. I've decided to share my music. Whether it goes anywhere or not is kind of irrelevant. Frankly speaking, I guess you can say I'm just going along for the ride.

You're more than welcomed to join me. :)

EE

P.S. to check out my song, soon you'll be able to see the video right on here. If you actually find yourself liking the song, check out my reverbnation account for a nicer version available for purchase.

*Update* I don't know how to set up the video stuff yet, so for now just click here for my youtube channel

10 comments:

  1. Just go to the Youtube clip, click on the "embed" button, and then paste that HTML into the HTML of your blog.

    You have two options on the blog: HTML & Compose. I like the HTML best. And that way, you can just paste the embed HTML right where you want it.

    Hope that helps! And the song sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw that there's no "embed" link when you're playing it on your channel. You have to actually go to the song post itself to find that button.

    Weird that it's got all of the other "Share" options on your channel page, but not the embed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol thanks bud. You've been so helpful! Of course, thankfully I've managed to just place a music player right here on the blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That works too. :) Though you don't get the sweet video, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um...I'll gonna try and figure it out later lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, between that and the link to the Youtube video, you should be set. Embedding in the post does make it much more likely that somebody will click on it, though.

    And I forgot to ask. Are you on Facebook? If so, you should join us at Authentic Blogger. You'd be able to spread your posts and maybe find some other good stuff to read as well.

    We're a great group of people. Though I'm an admin for the group, so I might be biased. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I'll join it now then. At least I know I have a friend among the "higher ups"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice vid man! You are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol I figured. And thanks for the compliment! I'll be putting more videos up soon. I was supposed to today, but ran out of time :/

    ReplyDelete