Pages

Feb 24, 2011

Book Review: Shadow of the Wind



Every once and a while, something hits you hard. It could be a movie, a song, a photo, or in this case, a book. This is an experience that spans years back. So please, allow me to start from the beginning.

The chilly November air had pushed me underneath the shelter of the tent. There were plenty of other, far more appealing, book stalls that lined the downtown streets, but this was the only one covered for a block or so. It was then that I came across a small section of books, marked down to $3 each. They were new, and from the covers alone you could tell why they were so cheap. However, there was one book that stood out to me. It was entitled "Shadow of the Wind" and seemed to have been placed there by accident. It gave off a sort of haunting resonance from merely the title. At the price, I knew I had to buy it.

That night, I read the story completely through. As I had suspected, it was an incredibly well-crafted piece of fiction. Everything had a place, a purpose, and the atmosphere was so well-realized not only did I feel a part of it, I felt I had become the main character himself.
Interestingly enough, the story starts off in a similar way as mine did. The main character finds a book entitled "The Shadow of the Wind." After he too becomes engulfed in the fiction, he is led on a quest that spans years. Likewise for me, since reading it all those years ago, I have frequently come back to it, as if my own life had become intertwined with the text.

But enough of that. I'm sure you actually want to hear some actual details about the story instead of just me babbling. 

 If you have ever read a Gothic, you will feel right at home with this story. The atmosphere is moody, there's tons of back story, death, romance, you name it. But unlike a typical Gothic, you'll find it extremely difficult (if not impossible), to find anything cheesy about this story. And this is where "The Shadow of the Wind" really excels. 

Gothics, generally speaking, are known for their theatrics, their dramatic nature. Do not be mistaken. This is a very dramatic story, but it is told in a way that doesn't have you saying "People don't act like that." The drama is presented in a way that makes sense. You would expect people to react as the characters do given their circumstances.

This realistic sense of drama also helps to build the tension in the story. It adds to the mystery. I've read this story five times now and I still find myself reading at the edge of my seat, eyes eagerly scanning the lines for the next big revelation. 

A good mystery can only be crafted if one keeps in mind that everything has its place. Nothing is put in the story, unless it is important to the story. In "The Shadow of the Wind" you get just that. Everything, from characters, events, to even little side-remarks, has a significance to the story.

Yes, I'm biased. To call this book a favorite of mine would be an understatement along the lines of saying "Parting the Red Sea isn't that big of a deal." This story is a BIG deal. So if you enjoy a good piece of Gothic fiction, Hell if you just like to read, pick up Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Shadow of the Wind."

And if that doesn't convince you, hop on over to Amazon.com. While you're there, you'll probably just want to click on the little "One Day Shipping" button. Your welcome. ;)

Happy reading!
EE

P.S. I purposefully avoided speaking about a lot of things in this book. Since everything is so important to the story itself, you're better off checking out a copy yourself if you want to know more. Plus, explaining a plot like this would be harder than speaking French fluently after one class. Basically, a boy finds a book, becomes obsessed with the author, and then all Hell breaks lose. Anymore than that and I'd be giving away too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment